Department of Hydraulic Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 100084
BA: Sep.1983 – July.1988, Water Resources Engineering, Tsinghua University, China
MA: Sep.1988 – Mar. 1990, Hydraulics & River Engineering, Tsinghua University, China
PhD: Sep.1995 – Jun.1999, Hydrology & Water Resources, The University of Tokyo, Japan
2004-present: Professor, Department of Hydraulic Engineering, Tsinghua University, China
2002-2004: Associate Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Tokyo, Japan
2001-2002: Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Tokyo, Japan
1998-2001: Research Associate, Institute of Industrial Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Japan
1994-1995: Research Engineer& Vice Director of the Hydrology and Water Conservancy, China Research Institute of Railway Sciences, China
1992-1993: Research Engineer, China Research Institute of Railway Sciences, China
1990-1992: Associate Research Engineer, China Research Institute of Railway Sciences, China
1. Principle of Hydrology and Its Application (Undergraduate courses)
2. Water Resources and Crisis (Undergraduate courses)
3. Eco-hydrology (Graduate courses)
Honors And Awards
2015, First prize of the Ministry of Education Natural Science Award (Rank 1th), (honored project: Ecohydrological processes and response under the changing environment)
2015, First prize of Da Yu water conservancy science and Technology Award (rank 4th)
2013, Chang Jiang Scholar Program Chair Professor
2010, National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars of NSFC (National Natural Science Foundation of China)
2009, Principle of National Excellent Course “Principle of Hydrology and Its Application”
2009, Principle of Beijing Excellent Course “Principle of Hydrology and Its Application”
2009, Second prize of Award of Beijing Teaching Achievement (rank 4th)
2003, Tison Award of IAHS (International Association of Hydrological Sciences)
Areas of Research Interests
Hydrology and Water Resources
（no more than 50 items） JOURNAL
Associate Editor of Journal of Hydrology (2015– present)
Editorial Board of Journal of Hydraulic Engineering (Chinese, 20015 – present)
Editorial Board of Journal of Hydrology (Chinese, 2005– present)
Associate Editor of Hydrological Science Journal (2008 – 2014)
Vice President of China National Committee of IAHS (2006 – present)
Vice president of ICCLAS, IAHS (2007 – 2014)
Member of International Committee of IAHS PUB (2005 – 2013)
Director of Project Coordination Office of WCRP CEOP(2002-2005)
The Coupling and Modeling of Eco-hydrological Processes in the Upper Reaches of Heihe River, integrated research project of the major research plan “Integrated research on the ecohydrological processes of the Heihe basin”, Project No. 91225302 of National Natural Science Foundation of China (2013-2016).
Ecohydrological Processes and modeling, National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars, Project No. 51025931 of National Natural Science Foundation of China (2011-2014).
Study on the ecohydrological response to climate change in typical catchments of Northern China, Key Project No. 50939004 of National Natural Science Foundation of China (2010-2013).
Study on the ecohydrological issue in the irrigated areas along the downstream of the Yellow River, NSFC-JSPS Joint-Project No. 50710193 of National Natural Science Foundation of China (2008-2010).
Distributed Hydrological Model Coupled Water-Energy Cycle for the Irrigated Region, Project No. 50679029 of National Natural Science Foundation of China (2007-2009).
Ecohydrological Changes and its Countermeasure for Water Resources Management in Northern China, Project No. 20081012 of the Ministry of Water Resources (2008-2010).
杨大文, 杨汉波, 雷慧闽. 流域水文学，清华大学出版社，北京，2014.
1. 许迪, 刘钰, 杨大文, 张宝忠, 蒸散发尺度效应与时空尺度拓展, 科学出版社, 2015.
3. 杨大文，丛振涛译，生态水文学（Eagleson, P. S.著，剑桥大学出版社），水利水电出版社，2007.
4. 杨大文，楠田哲也编著，水资源综合评价模型及其在黄河流域的应用，水利水电出版社，213pp, 2005.
5. 贾仰文，王浩，倪广恒，杨大文，王建华，秦大庸著，分布式流域水文模型原理及实践，水利水电出版社，283pp, 2005.
INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL PAPER
1. Zhang Shulei, Yang Hanbo, Yang Dawen, Jayawadena AW. (2016). Quantifying the effect of vegetation change on the regional water balance within the Budyko Framework. Geophysical Research Letters, DOI: 10.1002/2015GL066952.
2. Gao Bing, Qin Yue, Wang Yuhan, Yang Dawen, Zheng Yuanrun. (2016). Modeling Ecohydrological Processes and Spatial Patterns in the Upper Heihe Basin in China. Forests, 7(1). DOI:10.3390/f7010010.
3. Wang Ai, Tang Lihua, Yang Dawen. (2015). Spatial and temporal variability of nitrogen load from catchment and retention along a river network: A case study in the upper Xin'anjiang catchment of China. Hydrology Research. DOI: 10.2166/nh.2015.55.
4. Zhang Shulei, Yang Dawen, Jayawardena, A. W., Xu Xiangyu, Yang Hanbo. (2015). Hydrological change driven by human activities and climate variation and its spatial variability in Huaihe Basin, China. Hydrological Sciences Journal. DOI:10.1080/02626667.2015.1035657.
5. Zhang Quan, Katul, G. G., Oren, R., Daly, E., Manzoni, S., Yang Dawen. (2015). The hysteresis response of soil CO2 concentration and soil respiration to soil temperature. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences. DOI:10.1002/2015JG003047.
6. Xu Kai, Yang Dawen, Xu Xiangyu, Lei Huimin. (2015). Copula based drought frequency analysis considering the spatio-temporal variability in Southwest China. Journal of Hydrology. 527, 630–640. DOI:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2015.05.030.
7. Yang Hanbo, Li Zhe, Li Mingliang, and Yang Dawen (2015). Inconsistency in Chinese solar radiation data caused by instrument replacement: Quantification based on pan evaporation observations. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmosphere, doi: 10.1002/2014JD023015.
8. Yang D W, Gao B, Jiao Y, Lei H M, Zhang Y L, Yang H B, Cong Z T. (2015). A distributed scheme developed for eco-hydrological modeling in the upper Heihe River. Science China: Earth Sciences, 58: 36–45, doi: 10.1007/s11430-014-5029-7.
9. Hanbo Yang, Dawen Yang and Qingfang Hu (2014). An error analysis of the Budyko hypothesis for assessing the contribution of climate change to runoff. Water Resources Research. DOI: 10.1002/2014WR015451.
10. Xu Kai, Yang Dawen, Yang Hanbo, Li Zhe, Qin Yue, Shen Yan. (2015). Spatio-temporal variation of drought in China during 1961–2012: A climatic perspective. Journal of Hydrology, 526, 253-264.
11. Qin Yue, Yang Dawen, Lei Huimin, Xu Kai, Xu Xiangyu. (2015). Comparative analysis of drought based on precipitation and soil moisture indices in Haihe basin of North China during the period of 1960–2010. Journal of Hydrology, 526, 55-67.
12. Gong, W., D. Yang, H. V. Gupta, and G. Nearing (2014). Estimating information entropy for hydrological data: One-dimensional case, Water Resour Res, 50(6). 5003-5018, doi:10.1002/2014WR015874.
13. Huimin Lei, Dawen Yang, Hanbo Yang, Zaijian Yuan and Huafang Lv (2014). Simulated impacts of irrigation on evapotranspiration in a strongly exploited region: a case study of the Haihe River basin, China. Hydrological Processes. DOI: 10.1002/hyp.10402.
14. Yang Hanbo, Yang Dawen, Hu Qingfang, and Lv Huafang (2014). Spatial variability of the trends in climatic variables China during 1961-2010. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, DOI: 10.1007/s00704-014-1208-x
15. Yang Hanbo, Qi Jia, Xu Xiangyu, Yang Dawen, and Lv Huafang (2014). The regional variation in climate elasticity and climate contribution to runoff across China. Journal of Hydrology. 517: 607-615.
16. Lei, H., M. Huang, L. R. Leung, et al. (2014). Sensitivity of global terrestrial gross primary production to hydrological states simulated by the Community Land Model using two runoff parameterizations. J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst., 06, doi:10.1002/2013MS000252.
17. Zhang Q., Manzoni S., Katul G., Porporato A., Yang D. (2014). The hysteretic evapotranspiration – vapor pressure deficit relation, Journal of Geophysical Research - Biogeoscience,119(2):125-140, DOI: 10.1002/2013JG002484.
18. Hu, Q., Yang, D., Li, Z., Mishra, A. K., Wang, Y., Yang, H. (2014). Multi-scale evaluation of six high-resolution satellite monthly rainfall estimates over a humid region in China with dense rain gauges. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 35(4). 1272-1294.
19. Li, Zhe, Dawen Yang, Yang Hong, Jian Zhang, Youcun Qi (2014): Characterizing Spatiotemporal Variations of Hourly Rainfall by Gauge and Radar in the Mountainous Three Gorges Region. J. Appl. Meteor. Climatol., 53, 873–889. doi:10.1175/JAMC-D-13-0277.1
20. Lei H., Yang D., Huang Maoyi, (2014). Impacts of climate change and vegetation dynamics on runoff in the mountainous region of the Haihe River basin in the past five decades, Journal of Hydrology, 511,786-799.
21. Xiangyu Xu, Dawen Yang, Hanbo Yang, Huimin Lei (2014). Attribution analysis based on the Budyko hypothesis for detecting the dominant cause of runoff decline in Haihe basin，Journal of Hydrology, 510:530–540.
22. Zhao, T., Zhao, J., Lund, J., and Yang, D. (2014). Optimal Hedging Rules for Reservoir Flood Operation from Forecast Uncertainties. J. Water Resour. Plann. Manage., 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000432
23. Xu X, Yang H, Yang D and Ma H (2013). Assessing the impacts of climate variability and human activities on annual runoff in the Luan River Basin, China. Hydrology Research, 44(5): 940-952. doi:10.2166/nh.2013.144.
24. Zhe Li, Dawen Yang, Yang Hong (2013). Multi-scale evaluation of high-resolution multi-sensor blended global precipitation products over the Yangtze River. Journal of Hydrology, 500:157-169.
25. Chen He, Yang Dawen, Hong Yang, Jonathan J. Gourley, Yu Zhang (2013). Hydrological data assimilation with the Ensemble Square-Root-Filter: Use of streamflow observations to update model states for real-time flash flood forecasting. Advances in Water Resources, 59:209-220.
26. Yang Dawen, Chen He, Lei Huimin (2013). Analysis of the diurnal pattern of evaporative fraction and its controlling factors over croplands in the Northern China. Journal of Integrative Agriculture, 12(8):1316-1329.
27. Zhao T. T. G., Zhao J. S., Yang D. W., and Wang H. (2013). Generalized marginale model of the uncertainty evolution of streamflow forecasts, Advances in Water Resources, 57:41-51.
28. Lei H M, Yang D W, Cai J F, et al. (2013). Long-term variability of the carbon balance in a large irrigated area along the lower Yellow River from 1984 to 2006. Science China: Earth Sciences, 56: 671–683, doi: 10.1007/s11430-012-4473-5.
29. Gao Bing, Yang Dawen, Yang Hanbo (2013). Impact of the Three Gorges Dam on flow regime in the middle and lower Yangtze River. Quaternary International, 304: 43-50.
30. QingFang Hu, DaWen Yang, YinTang Wang, HanBo Yang (2013). Accuracy and spatio-temporal variation of high resolution satellite rainfall estimate over the Ganjiang River Basin, Science China Technological Sciences, 56(4):853-865.
31. Zhang Quan, Lei Huimin, Yang Dawen (2013). Seasonal variations in soil respiration, heterotrophic respiration and autotrophic respiration of a wheat and maize rotation cropland in the North China Plain, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 180: 34–43.
32. Gong, W., H. V. Gupta, D. Yang, K. Sricharan, and A. O. Hero III (2013). Estimating epistemic and aleatory uncertainties during hydrologic modeling: An information theoretic approach, Water Resour. Res., 49, 2253–2273, doi:10.1002/wrcr.20161.
33. Zhao T. T. G., Zhao J. S., and Yang D. W (2012). Improved dynamic programming for reservoir operation optimization with a concave objective function, Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 138(6):590-596.
34. Yang, H., Yang, D. and Lei, Z. (2012). Seasonal variability of the complementary relationship in the Asian monsoon region. Hydrol. Process. doi: 10.1002/hyp.9400.
35. Li Mingliang, Dawen Yang, Jinsong Chen, and Susan S. Hubbard (2012). Calibration of a Distributed Flood Forecasting Model with Input Uncertainty Using a Bayesian Framework. Water Resources Research, 48, W08510, doi:10.1029/2010WR010062.
36. Lei, H. and Yang, D (2012). Combining Crop Coefficient of Winter Wheat and Summer Maize with Remotely-Sensed Vegetation Index for Estimating Evapotranspiration in the North China Plain. J. Hydrol. Eng.. doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)HE.1943-5584.0000765.
37. Gao B, Yang D, Zhao T, Yang H (2012). Changes in the eco-flow metrics of Upper Yangtze River from 1961 to 2008. J Hydrol. 448-449(2). 30-38.
38. Zhao Tongtiegang, Yang Dawen, Cai Ximing, et. al., (2012). Identifying effective forecast horizon for real-time reservoir operation under a limited inflow forecast, Water Resources Research, 48, W01540, doi:10.1029/2011WR010623.
39. Xu, X., D. Yang and M. Sivapalan (2012). Assessing the impact of climate variability on catchment water balance and vegetation cover. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 16, 43–58, doi:10.5194/hess-16-43-2012.
40. Yang HB and DW Yang (2012). Climatic factors influencing changing pan evaporation across China from 1961 to 2001. Journal of Hydrology, Journal of Hydrology, 414–415:184–193, doi:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2011.10.043.
41. Tang, LH, DW Yang, HP Hu, B Gao (2011). Detecting the effect of land-use change on streamflow, sediment and nutrient losses by distributed hydrological simulation. Journal of Hydrology, 409: 172-182.
42. Yang, HB and DW Yang (2011). Derivation of climate elasticity of runoff to assess the effects of climate change on annual runoff. Water Resources Research, 47, W07526, doi:10.1029/2010WR009287.
43. Yi, YH & DW Yang (2011). An operational method to estimate evapotranspiration using MODIS data during winter wheat growing season. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 32(17): 4915-4932, DOI:10.1080/01431161.2010.492252.
44. Huimin Lei, Dawen Yang, Yanjun Shen, Yu Liu and Yucui Zhang (2011). Simulation of evapotranspiration and carbon dioxide flux in the wheat-maize rotation croplands of the North China Plain using the simple biosphere model. Hydrological Processes, 25, DOI: 10.1002/hyp.8026.
45. Ma Huan, Dawen Yang, Soon Keat Tan, Bing Gao, Qingfang Hua (2010). Impact of climate variability and human activity on streamflow decrease in the Miyun Reservoir catchment. Journal of Hydrology, 389, 317–324.
46. Cong Zhentao, Jingjing Zhao, Dawen Yang, Guangheng Ni (2010). Understanding the hydrological trends of river basins in China. Journal of Hydrology, 388, 350–356. (IDS: 627FK)
47. Lei Huimin, Dawen Yang, E. Lokupitiya, and Yanjun Shen (2010). Coupling land surface and crop growth models for predicting evapotranspiration and carbon exchange in wheat-maize rotation croplands. Biogeosciences, 7, 3363-3375.
48. Yang, DW, H Chen & HM Lei (2010). Estimation of evapotranspiration using a remote sensing model over agriculture land in the North China Plain. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 31(14). 3783–3798.
49. Lei, HM & DW Yang (2010). Seasonal and interannual variations in carbon dioxide exchange over a cropland in the North China Plain. Global Change Biology, 16, 2944–2957, doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2486.2009.02136.x.
50. Lei HM & DW Yang (2010). Interannual and seasonal variability in evapotranspiration and energy partitioning over an irrigated cropland in the North China Plain. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 150, 581-589
51. Valeriano, OCS, T Koike, K Yang and DW Yang (2010). Optimal Dam Operation during Flood Season using a Distributed Hydrological Model and a Heuristic Algorithm. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, doi:10.1061/(ASCE)HE.1943-5584.0000212.
52. Wang, L., ZJ Wang, T Koike, H Yin, DW Yang and S. He (2010). The assessment of surface water resources for the semi-arid Yongding River Basin from 1956 to 2000 and the impact of land use change. Hydrological Processes, 24, 1123–1132, DOI: 10.1002/hyp.7566.
53. Yang, DW, WW Shao, PJF Yeh, HB Yang, S Kanae & T Oki (2009). Impact of vegetation coverage on regional water balance in the nonhumid regions of China. Water Resources Research, 45, W00A14, doi:10.1029/2008WR006948.
54. Shao, WW, DW Yang, HP Hu and K Sanbongi (2009). Water resources allocation considering the flexible limit to water shortage -- a case study in the Yellow River basin of China, Water Resources Management, 23 (5). 869-880, DOI 10.1007/s11269-008-9304-2.
55. Yang, HB, DW Yang, ZD Lei, FB Sun and ZT Cong (2009). Variability of complementary relationship and its mechanism on different time scales, Science in China Series E: Technological Sciences, vol. 52 (4). 1059-1067, doi:10.1007/s11431-008-0197-3.
56. Cong, ZT, DW Yang, B Gao, HB Yang, and HP Hu (2009). Hydrological trend analysis in the Yellow River basin using a distributed hydrological model, Water Resources Research, 45, W00A13, doi:10.1029/2008WR006852.
57. Cong, ZT, DW Yang, GH Ni (2009). Does evaporation paradox exist in China? HYDROLOGY AND EARTH SYSTEM SCIENCES, 13 (3). 357-366.
58. Wang, L, T Koike, DW Yang & K Yang (2009). Improving the hydrology of the Simple Biosphere Model 2 and its evaluation within the framework of a distributed hydrological model, Hydrological Sciences Journal, 54 (6). 989-1006.
59. Valeriano, OCS, T Koike, DW Yang, CT Nyunt, VK Duong & LC Nguyen (2009). Flood simulation using different sources of rainfall in the Huong River, Vietnam. Hydrological Sciences Journal, 54 (5). 909-917.
60. Han, SJ, HP Hu, DW Yang & QC Liu (2009). Differences in changes of potential evaporation in the mountainous and oasis regions of the Tarim basin, northwest China, Science in China Series E: Technological Sciences, 52 (7). 1981-1989. DOI: 10.1007/s11431-009-0123-3.
61. Wang, L., T Koike, K Yang, TJ Jackson, R Bindlish & DW Yang (2009). Development of a distributed biosphere hydrological model and its evaluation with the Southern Great Plains Experiments (SGP97 and SGP99). Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmospheres, doi:10.1029/2008JD010800.
62. Yang, HB, DW Yang, ZD Lei & FB Sun (2008). New analytical derivation of the mean annual water-energy balance equation. Water Resources Research, 44, W03410, doi:10.1029/2007WR006135.
63. Lei, HM, DW Yang, SJ Schymanski & M Sivapalan (2008). Modeling the crop transpiration using an optimality-based approach, Science in China Series E: Technological Sciences, vol. 51, Supp. II, 1-16， doi:10.1007/s11431-008-6008-z.
64. Yi, YH, DW Yang, DY Chen & JF Huang (2008). Evaluation of MODIS surface reflectance products for wheat LAI retrieval, ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing, 63 (6). 661–677, doi:10.1016/j.isprsjprs.2008.04.004.
65. Xu, JJ, DW Yang, ZD Lei, J Chen & WJ Yang (2008). Spatial and temporal variation of runoff in the Yangtze River basin during the past 40 years. Quaternary International, 186: 32-42, doi:10.1016/j.quaint.2007.10.014.
66. Yang, DW, FB Sun, ZY Liu, ZT Cong, GH Ni & ZD Lei (2007). Analyzing spatial and temporal variability of annual water-energy balance in nonhumid regions of China using the Budyko hypothesis. Water Resources Research, 43, W04426, doi:10.1029/2006WR005224.
67. Yi, YH, DW Yang, DY Chen & JF Huang (2007). Retrieving crop physiological parameters and assessing water deficiency using MODIS data during winter wheat growing period, Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, 33(3). 189-202.
68. Ni, GH, ZY Liu, ZD Lei, DW Yang & Wang L (2007). Continuous simulation of water and soil erosion in a small watershed of the Loess Plateau with a distributed model, Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 13 (5). 392-399. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0699(2008)13:5(392).
69. Yang, DW, FB Sun, ZY Liu, ZT Cong & ZD Lei (2006). Interpreting the complementary relationship in non-humid environments based on the Budyko and Penman hypotheses. Geophysical Research Letters, 33, L18402, doi:10.1029/2006GL027657.
70. Xu Xiangyu, Dawen Yang (2009). Analysis of catchment evapotranspiration at different scales using bottom-up and top-down approaches, Frontiers of Architecture and Civil Engineering in China, DOI 10.1007/s11709-010-0002-9.
71. Yang, DW, FB Sun, ZY Liu, ZT Cong, GH Ni & ZD Lei (2007). Analyzing spatial and temporal variability of annual water-energy balance in nonhumid regions of China using the Budyko hypothesis. Water Resources Research, 43, W04426, doi:10.1029/2006WR005224.
72. Yang, DW, FB Sun, ZY Liu, ZT Cong & ZD Lei (2006). Interpreting the complementary relationship in non-humid environments based on the Budyko and Penman hypotheses. Geophysical Research Letters, 33, L18402, doi:10.1029/2006GL027657.
73. Yang, DW, T Koike & H Tanizawa (2004). Application of a distributed hydrological model and weather radar observations for flood management in the upper Tone River of Japan. Hydrological Processes, 18, 3119-3132, doi:10.1002/hyp.5752.
74. Yang, DW, C Li, HP Hu, ZD Lei, SX Yang, T Kusuda, T Koike & K Musiake (2004). Analysis of water resources variability in the Yellow River of China during the last half century using historical data. Water Resources Research, 40, W06502, doi:10.1029/2003WR002763.